Monday, October 20, 2014

My Chloe Bug


This girl is the baby of our family. I adopted her when she was 7 years old. She was developmentally delayed, which caused her to get hurt by other children running and playing around her, creating in her a great deal of fear: fear of falling down, fear of steps, fear of heights, fear of jumping, fear of walking over jetty rocks, fear of cracks in sidewalks .... you name it, she feared it. In her fear, and with her diagnosis of autism, she'd often melt down into a raging tantrum. Many. Times. Each. Day. Her anxiety caused her to self harm. When I met her, she was taking 21 pills per day under psychiatric care. Today, she is medication-free, thanks to her relationship with Jesus.
Yes, Chloe still struggles at times with self-control, fear, and anxiety, but she has learned to Google bible verses that help her in these areas. I didn't realize how much fear she had overcome until she jumped into the pool at a campground one day. I asked her how she was able to jump in like that after years of resisting. She said, "I just prayed about it and did it. God helped me not be scared."
Chloe's favorite bible verse is Ephesians 6:11:
Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes.

Back to "Who We Are"

No comments:

Post a Comment