Saturday, March 1, 2014

Slow and Steady Wins the Race

We have been on the road for 1 month as of yesterday. If I had to describe it in one word, it would be ... stressful. The entire 18 hour drive from NJ to FL was ... stressful. Driving the motorhome wasn't very stressful. I've done that many times. Towing the minivan? Now THAT was stressful. The van slipped off the dolly within a mile on the road. We drove through ice, snow, and rain (my favorites ... not). I paid 2 tow truck drivers $20 each to check my dolly: once after the van slipped off and once in VA when I had to unhook the dolly in order to get air in the RV tires as the garage couldn't accommodate both vehicles together in the parking lot. Once we ran out of gas and barely made it coasting into a Flying J. The entire drive down I kept repeating to myself, "Slow and steady wins the race." We left NJ with just barely enough time to get to FL for the homeschool field trip to Legoland. We didn't make it anyway. We overslept. =/
We have been sorting, organizing & cleaning out the junk we tossed into the RV before we left NJ. I went to Lowes, Home Depot & Ikea and have been adding storage space since we arrived in FL. Remodeling the RV is hard when you're actually living in it. Even though most of the remodelling was done before we left, I'm constantly finding more places to add storage space. Now that I have, the kids are whining and complaining less. We're settling in. We're starting to have a good time ... I think. We've been to the FTF rally, state parks and playgrounds, and swimming. We've attended church services, Bible studies, and youth groups near both TTO and Peace River. TTO also has a service in the family center at TTO at 8am, a bible study Monday nights, and a women's bible study Tuesday afternoons. We also really like FCCLive in Clermont. Sometimes pastors make us cry but, this Sunday, the PASTOR even cried. Very moving.
Homeschooling looks a bit different now. I don't carry my own Internet yet so we rely on TT Internet at the family center. It was down in Orlando for several days so, instead of doing Xtramath, K12reader, and Easy Peasy, they read chapter books, wrote summaries of a chapter each day, and the bigger boys used their Life of Fred math books while the littles worked on counting money and telling time. Some days we roadschool, finding interesting state parks, monuments, and museums to visit. One challenge has been that my kids complain about other kids who are unschoolers and "never have to learn anything, they just play all day." Hmmm, well, we unschooled for a year and we liked it; however, mine are mostly special needs, they don't pick things up easily, they've always lacked basics due to moving around in foster care, and I just feel better giving them some structured learning targeting their weak areas while building on their strengths. I thought I'd cave in to their "let's play all day, too" desires many times but I prayed about it and felt that wasn't enough, altho I try not to put so much pressure on them and myself about schooling.
Two of my boys are loving every minute of this life. The rest of us? Well, we've all had (many) days where we felt like quitting. Leaving the road. Going "home" to the s&b house while we still have it but, the more I accommodate their storage and space needs, and the more we do fun stuff and involve ourselves in ... FTF, community ... life, the less they whine, complain, and bicker. The other day I commented on one boy's negative attitude and my other boy said, "Mom, living on the road is stressful. You know it is. Just the other day, you wanted to quit." Yup. I did. Over what? I don't even remember. As my kids played the other day, I heard one saying to the other, "Slow and steady wins the race." I guess the key is to slow down and be more flexible. My type A, controlling personality finds that difficult to do but I'm learning to trust God and seek His will always.

silly kids, building relationships with other FTF teens


Don't look out only for your own interests, but take an interest in others, too. Philippians 2:4
Look to the LORD and his strength; seek his face always. 1 Chronicles 16:11
The LORD is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation. He is my God, and I will praise him, my father's God, and I will exalt him. Exodus 15:2
So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. Isaiah 41:10
This is what the LORD says: "Cursed is the one who trusts in man, who depends on flesh for his strength and whose heart turns away from the LORD. Jeremiah 17:5
Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Romans 12:12
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;  in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight. Proverbs 3:5-6
If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you. John 15:7



No comments:

Post a Comment