Tuesday, July 8, 2014

My Passion for Teens Aging Out of Foster Care

Many of you know I adopt older children from foster care. I'm a single mother of 12, going on 13, currently raising my youngest 8. When I am reminded, as I often am, of the fate of those who age out of foster care, my heart is torn: so happy for the children who have a forever family to depend on yet so sad for those who don't. There are some children I tried to adopt but wasn't able to before they aged out of foster care. Some of those children, now young adults, I've never been able to find despite prison searches and driver's license searches. Well, at least they're not in jail, huh? I pray for those who've aged out that I wanted to reach but couldn't.

Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. James 1:27
But Jesus called the children to Him and said, 'Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. Luke 18:16

Do you know what happens to children who age out of foster care? Statistics show:

Without family or any other dependable adults to rely on for assistance, these young people are at high risk of homelessness, joblessness, illness, incarceration, welfare dependency, early childbearing, and sexual and physical victimization.
According to various studies across the country of young people who have aged out of foster care without a permanent family:
  • 12-30 percent struggled with homelessness
  • 40-63 percent did not complete high school
  • 25-55 percent were unemployed; those employed had average earnings below the poverty level, and only 38 percent of those employed were still working after one year
  • 30-62 percent had trouble accessing health care due to inadequate finances or lack of insurance
  • 32-40 percent were forced to rely on some form of public assistance and 50 percent experienced extreme financial hardship
  • 31-42 percent had been arrested
  • 18-26 percent were incarcerated
  • 40-60 percent of the young women were pregnant within 12-18 months of leaving foster care.
If any woman who is a believer has widows in her care, she should continue to help them and not let the church be burdened with them, so that the church can help those widows who are really in need. 1 Timothy 5:16
Do not neglect to do good and share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God. Hebrews 13:16

Do you remember what it's like to be an older teenager? A young adult? We always need our parents, no matter how old we are and young adults often need financial assistance and guidance.

Know the state of your flocks and and put your heart into caring for your herds. Proverbs 27:23
Whoever is generous to the poor lends to the Lord, and He will repay him for his deed. Proverbs 19:17

There are also children who've aged out of foster care that I was unable to adopt but I do still keep contact with them. These young adults struggle with joblessness and homelessness. Some have children, others do not, but they often need help keeping their car and car insurance in order to obtain and maintain employment. Many times, in order to avoid homelessness, they end up living with the very families they were removed from, suffering the same abuses and dysfunction that existed when they were young and now exposing their children to that life, as well. Many of them never completed high school, although a few did, and require assistance in preparing for their GED. As you know, I also homeschool/roadschool my current 8 children at home and I try to help these young adults to get their GEDs.

Again, Jesus said, 'Simon son of John, do you truly love me?' He answered, 'Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.' Jesus said, 'Take care of my sheep.' John 21:16
Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. Galatians 6:10


I know God is capable of taking care of everyone and I believe we all must be His hands and feet. I rarely ask anyone for anything but, at present, I feel led to ask for help. Several of these young adults, who I know personally, are in need of my help and I just can't help them all myself. If you feel led to help in any way, these are some ways you could help:
  • donate, or sell cheaply, a working RV for a young family in need of a place to live
  • donate, or sell cheaply, a used TT membership you no longer need
  • provide a job (they are in TX now but may be open to moving)
  • provide a very affordable place to live (they are in TX now but may be open to moving)
  • donate a working car
  • use the donate button on my blog to help fund these needs
  • pray, pray, pray, pray, pray.
And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord's people. Ephesians 6:18

Pray for families in our country and around the world who are struggling. Pray for communities to support their families in ways that help families stay together. Pray for children in foster care who are missing their natural families. Pray for children who've legally lost their natural families and are waiting for a forever family to adopt them. Pray for children in foster care, and in adopted families, who've lost their siblings in the process of being removed and/or adopted. Pray that teens who age out find the resources and assistance they need to make positive strides in their adult lives. Pray that someone, somewhere, will show these lost souls the love of Jesus. Pray that they all get to know God's love for them. All of my adopted children came to me as nonbelievers or had little faith that God is alive or real or that He is good or that He cares about them. Those who age out struggle with many emotions and with unbelief. If you can help me be the hands and feet to show these young people the love of Jesus, it would be a blessing to have you on my team. They can heal. Read our stories of healing. Thank you in advance for anything you feel led to do to help those in need.

Sell your possessions and give to the needy. Provide yourselves with moneybags that do not grow old, with a treasure in the heavens that does not fail, where no thief approaches and no moth destroys. Luke 12:33
Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. 2 Corinthians 9:7
The King will reply, 'Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.' Matthew 25:40

4 comments:

  1. I have 15 adopted kids so I totally feel your pain here. My dream is that one day I'll be able to open a "transition" house for those kids that age out of foster care. To assist them in knowing God for sure, plus learn real survival skills. How to maneuver the employment office. How to fill out employment applications. How to interview. Be sure they know how to budget. And so much more. My youngest at home is only 3 so I can't concentrate on making that happen today but I can pray for guidance, write up plans, etc for this to happen in the future. That's only half of what I want to do but that will be my start. We can't save them all, but we can save the exact ones God sends out way.....right!

    God's Blessings to you in your calling to care for even one of these in His name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Very true, Vickie. We can only save those God intends for us to save. Others must fulfill their role & answer their own calling to help orphans (or whatever else they're called to do for the Kingdom). I tend to think of myself as a mini-messiah, always trying to save the world after it's already been saved. =/

      Delete