Sunday, May 25, 2014

Church While Traveling

We've been a FtF for 4 months now, and we were part-timing for 3 years before that. Church is very important to us and leaving our home church in NJ was one of the hardest things to do. That church was one of the only reasons we stayed in NJ as long as we did. I grew so much spiritually as a result of attending that church, many of my children became born again there, and three were baptized there. One of our favorite things to help with is their Living Nativity. God has since transformed this family from a family living in a chaotic, trauma-affected life of constant crisis to one dominated by peace. We have much to be thankful for!


Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. Romans 5:1
And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful. Let the Word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God. Colossians 3:15-16

Our first long-term destination was Florida. We were there 3 months, splitting the time between Peace River in Wauchula and Orlando. We found bible study groups and church services at both parks plus we participated in a local church near each, as studying the Word of God and getting to know Him and His will for our lives is very important to us.

And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near. Hebrews 10:24-25
The grass withers, the flower fades, but the Word of our God will stand forever. Isaiah 40:8

The Holy Spirit led us to First Baptist Church of Bowling Green, FL and FCC Live in Clermont, FL. We loved both and participated in bible study and youth group, attended services, volunteered to help with ministries (pics below, which you can read about on the linked blog posts), and met many great brothers and sisters in Christ. It is so encouraging to hear the testimonies of others and see how God is working in other people's lives. One pastor noticed the passion my children have for Christ and ministry and referred us to their spiritual gifts class ... another reason we stayed in FL as long as we did. I feared I'd feel lost and alone while full-timing but God has brought many people into our lives and I feel far from alone. God is faithful and an excellent provider and protector.



And my God will supply every need of yours according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:19
For the Word of the Lord is right and true; He is faithful in all He does. Psalm 33:4

A quick aside: I had prayed a lot before we left on our journey for God to let me know if traveling was something He approved of. I wasn't getting any strong answer either way but I continued to ask God for His guidance. A stranger approached us while we sat in our van one night after a meeting. He appeared nervous and had circled our van several times. The children started to wonder what he was up to. He finally came to my window and said, "I don't know if you'll believe this or not but God prompted me to come tell you all that there is a hedge of protection around this family," and he used his arms to encircle the entire van with the family in it. I knew that was God's blessing to travel and He has been faithful to protect this family, even though many, many things have gone wrong. You can read about our launch and all the problems we had. Many lessons learned.

Your love, O Lord, reaches to the heavens, your faithfulness to the skies. Psalm 36:5
For great is Your love; higher than the heavens; Your faithfulness reaches to the skies. Psalm 108:4
Praise Him for His mighty deeds; praise Him according to His excellent greatness! Psalm 150:2

We've been in travel mode for 1 month now, just driving toward a destination of Texas and boondocking at Walmart's or staying at free or cheap state and county parks. We spend much time driving but do not miss church service on Sundays. We made a detour off our planned route to attend bible study and services at White's Ferry Road Church of Christ in West Monroe, LA. We stayed for a week and attended for 2 weekends and Wednesday. We were able to worship with the Robertsons from Duck Dynasty and my teens attended bible study with Willie's teens. They were thrilled (my boys, not so much the Robertsons, lol). I understand Phil Robertson leads a bible study on Sunday mornings before service so tourists who seek him can attend his bible study and hear the Word of God but I didn't get to do that. Phil was shocked at how many children we had to squeeze into the picture. Willie was a gentleman and Silas was just as funny as ever. Nathan joked with him and gave him a hug. If you want to stay in the area and don't like living in the Walmart Wilderness, Lake Darbonne State Park is about an hour from the church. It has full hook-ups, Wi-Fi throughout the campground, FREE laundry facilities for campers, lake activities, a nature center, and trails.

 



We toured some Arkansas state parks (we were so close, why not?) then headed toward Texas again. I found a Walmart near Shreveport, LA (which also happens to have a gas station willing to let RVs refill their water tank ... a real treat when boondocking) and decided that would be our home for the night. I searched my GPS for local churches, and there were many, but the Holy Spirit prompted me to go to Central Baptist Church in Bossier City, LA just off I-20. Our intent was to attend service then continue driving into Texas. We've been here for a week. The pastor asked for volunteers to put furniture together for a yard sale so I offered my family's services. We have since put several pieces of furniture together, helped with their yard sale, attended bible study and services both weekends, Wednesday night service, a potluck, and met many more good friends. Pastor Tim also noticed my children's "thirst for Christ" and has been an encouragement to me and my children. He has renewed the passion in my children for ministry and allowed them to participate on the worship team. His passion and enthusiasm for Christ are contagious and God is using him well in his community. We will be helping with VBS. If you're near Shreveport, LA the week after July 4th, (after we finally visit family in Texas!) bring your children out! If you're not a boondocker, there's a park with RV sites nearby for only $12/night with hookups, and I hear there's a free spray park for the kiddos nearby, as well, but we haven't had time to visit it, yet.









We have been so blessed by these communities and we've been told we've also been a blessing to them. I believe we all have a place in the Kingdom of God, we've all been given spiritual gifts in order to serve God and each other with, and God puts us in each other's paths for a reason. He knows our needs before we do and is faithful to provide for them, even when we think He doesn't hear our prayers. Find your passion. Discover your gifts. Ask God how He wants you to use them and attend a bible-based church to help you build a relationship with your Creator. You'll never be sorry you did!

I will sing of the Lord's great love forever; with my mouth (and my blog, and my facebook, ...) I will make Your faithfulness known through all generations. Psalm 89:1
Blessed is the one who reads aloud the words of this prophesy, and blessed are those who hear, and who keep what is written in it, for the time is near. Revelation 1:3

1 comment:

  1. I love this, what a great message. You are truly following the God's leading. From someone who often puts blinders on when I have a goal, this is what I and those like me, need to hear. Texas will still be there. Excited for you,if you head back towards Florida, then look us up.

    ReplyDelete